Pipefy's sprint planner was especially developed to help you manage your Scrum sprints within our platform.
By enabling this pipe app you will no longer need to use external applications to plan your sprints, estimate the effort and track your stories in burndown charts.
How to enable the sprint planner app?
Enabling this app is easy: open the sidebar menu of your pipe clicking on the gear icon on the upper right corner of the screen then click on apps.
Within the apps list, click on Sprint Planner. This window will pop-up:
Click on the green 'Enable' button to activate the app. The following icon will be displayed in the pipe's header:
How to create a new sprint?
To create a new sprint, click on the sprint icon in the pipe's header. You'll see three options:
Click on 'Create new Sprint' to open a side tab where you will plan your sprint. In this tab you can:
- Give your sprint a name (optional): by giving your sprint a name you'll make it easier to identify past sprints;
- Determine the start and end date: determine the dates when the sprint starts and ends. This information can be modified after the sprint is initiated;
- Estimate the effort: choose whether you want to select a specific field from your pipe to estimate the effort/story points per task (click here to learn more about agile estimation techniques) or don't use an estimate and simply count the story points by the amount of cards (all cards will have the same effort estimation).
If you decide to choose a field from your pipe as the source for the story points, you'll need to create a number field where you'll manually input the number of story points for each card.
After you've input the information, click the 'Choose cards' button to drag and drop the cards you want to add to this sprint:
As you add the cards, you'll see the story points total in the bottom left corner of the tab. You can drag and drop cards to determine which tasks/stories are of highest priority in this sprint.
After you're done adding and reordering cards, click on 'Start Sprint' to begin tracking the sprint.
When you add cards to a print, the sprint icon will be displayed in the closed cards, along with the estimated story points:
Once you start the sprint you'll be taken to a screen with an initial kanban view of the sprint with the following elements:
- Name of the sprint, start and end dates and percentage of the activities' completion;
- Stories: The sprint is divided into stories (parent cards) located on the left side of the sprint view and tasks (child cards) displayed within the story's kanban. On the left side, you'll see all stories added to this sprint. Once you click on top of them, they expand to show the details/tasks inside;
- Percentage of tasks finished within this story;
- Click this button to create a new task that'll be automatically related to this story and added to the sprint;
- Click on "View Story" to open this story's card and view its information;
- Click "Create new Story" to create a new card and add it to the current sprint;
- Click here to view this sprint's burndown chart;
- All sprints need to be finished manually. Click here to end a sprint (be careful, once you select this option there's no way of re-opening the sprint);
- More options: Change the sprint's end date or go back to view past sprints.
The burndown chart will always show two lines: a red one that establishes the ideal work rhythm and a blue one that shows the stories/tasks that have already been completed.
By rolling down the screen you'll find additional information about this sprint, such as the completion of the sprint (completed and remaining story points) and information about the cards in this sprint:
How to finish a story?
After all of the tasks within a story are moved to a final phase, the Sprint app will display the "finish story" button:
Once you click on it you'll see a dropdown menu of your pipe's phases.
Once you choose a phase (sprint done, for example) the story (parent card) is moved to the selected phase.
If the story doesn't have any tasks, simply click on "view story" to open the card and move the card to another phase using the action buttons.
How to finish a sprint?
All sprints have to be manually finished. They don't close automatically when they reach the established 'end date'.
You can finish a sprint by clicking on 'finish sprint' in the upper right corner of the sprint's chart window.
Once a sprint is finished it can't be reopened.
How to add or remove a card from a sprint (after it's begun)?
You can add or remove card's to a sprint after you've initiated it. To add a new card to the current sprint, open the card, click on the Sprint icon then click on 'Add to current Sprint'.
If you wish to remove a card from the current sprint, open the card, click on the Sprint icon then click on 'Remove from current Sprint.'
How to view previous sprints?
You can choose to view previous (finished) sprints by clicking on the sprint icon in the pipe's header then on "Previous sprints" (if you don't have a sprint that's currently open) or by opening the current sprint then clicking on 'more options,' 'view previous sprints.'
The past sprints view will show you the exact information about each card's status at the moment the sprint was finished.
The information is static, which means that if the cards are updated after the sprint is finished, the information in the 'previous sprints' view will remain the same.