Estimated reading time: 4 min
How to create a database
The first step for using Pipefy's database is creating a database table. The fields you will add to your table represent your information storage units, the place where the information you insert in your database records will be stored.
Just like the fields in a pipe, you can add as many fields as needed to your database to make your records as complete and useful as possible.
1. Access your company databases by clicking in the database option in the navigation bar on the left side of your screen:
2. Then, click the ‘Add new table’ option.
3. In the next screen you'll give your database a name and a description. You'll also choose which field will be used as the record's title and determine the permissions and authorization settings.
Important! If you change the field used as the records title, the change will only apply to records created after the change. Previously created records need to be updated manually.
This is where you select whether you want your table to be public (all members in your company can view and access it) or private (only company administrators and invited users will be able to view/join it).
You'll also determine the authorization settings to establish whether the table members can only view the records in it or view and edit existing records.
If you access the table settings after you're done with the initial setup (by clicking in the gear icon in the upper right corner, then on table settings) you'll find two more options you can edit within the advanced options:
You can change the text that will appear on your 'create record' button, and if you created a connection field on your pipe that allows you to connect cards to this database.
You can also select which fields you wish to be displayed when records from this table are selected in a connection/connection field.
Click 'Save' once you're satisfied with your settings. You will be redirected to your new, empty database.
4. The next step is adding fields to your database. Each field you add will be a column in your database table. When creating a new record you'll fill in the fields so each new record will be a row with the information separated in the columns.
Adding fields is easy: click in the gear in the upper right corner to open the sidebar menu, then on field editor.
A pop up window will open where you can edit the existing field by clicking on it, delete it or add a new field. Click on "add custom field" to add your first field.
After you click on add custom field, you'll be taken to a new window where you can choose from the existing field types (just like adding fields to your pipe's form or phases):
Creating a field in a database works almost exactly like creating a field in a pipe. When you select a field type, the following screen will pop up.
You'll need to give your field a name (label) and you can choose to add a description and a help text. You can decide to make it required or optional and within the advanced settings you can turn 2 options on/off:
- Unique value: This specific field must have a unique value. If you don't want to risk having 2 customers registered using the same email, for example, turn this option on;
- Minimal view: Only the field label will be displayed as a URL and, when you click on it, it expands. This is a good option for making your form shorter by 'hiding' optional fields.
You can add as many fields as you need to your database.
6. Once you're done creating your database fields, you can customize the format of your database by clicking on the 'columns' icon in the upper right corner of your screen:
Like we mentioned before, the fields you've created are your database's columns. You can change the columns you want to see in your screen.
7. If you're satisfied with your database, you can start adding records by filling out the record form you created. You can create a new record by clicking 'create record' inside the database, through a connection/connection field or using our API.