Pipefy enables users to connect pipes and databases in two ways:
- Connection: the connection is set up in the pipe's settings and it can be used to create/search cards records in every phase of the pipe. It's especially useful when the connection needs to be available in every stage of the process, such as creating activities in a sales pipeline;
- Connection field: as the name states, the connection field is a field and, therefore, it's part of a specific phase of the pipe. It's displayed alongside the other fields of the process and can be set as a mandatory action. It's especially useful in situations when creating/searching for connected cards/records is a mandatory part of the process, such as selecting the employee record when creating an expense reimbursement request.
Creating a connection (Pipe settings)
To create a connection, you'll first click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen, then on 'connections'.
Once you click on "create new connection +" you'll see a pop-up screen where you'll select the:
1. Connection name: that's the name that'll be displayed in the upper right corner of the open card;
2. Connected pipe or table: here's where you select the pipe or table this connection will search/create cards/records;
3. Connection function: you can choose whether you want your connection to
- Search: Search the existing cards/records in the pipe/database and link them to the parent card;
- Create: Create new cards on the connected pipe/database by filling its start form;
- Search and create: Search and link existing cards/records or create new ones.
4. Number of entries: select whether you want a single card/record to be connected to the parent card or multiple cards/records.
After you've set this up, you'll have the option of unfolding the "Advanced options" where you'll find five different rules you can turn on or off:
- Creating connected cards is a requirement before moving this card to the next phase: when this advanced option is active, the cards can't be moved forward in the process before creating a connected card;
- Creating connected cards is a requirement for the parent card to be done: when this advanced option is active, the cards can't be moved to a final phase of the process before creating a connected card;
- All connected cards must be done before moving this card to the next phase: when this advanced option is active, the parent card can't be moved forward in the process before the connected card/cards have reached a final phase;
- All connected cards must be finished before the parent card can be done: when this advanced option is active, the parent card can't be moved to a final phase of the process before the connected card/cards have reached a final phase;
- Autofill enables you to fill out fields automatically: this advanced option enables users to match the fields in 'parent' pipe to autofill the connected card's fields. Click here to learn more.
Select the rule(s) that suits your process best, click save and that's it! Your connection is activated! This is how we'd use a connection to log a meeting in a sales pipeline:
Creating a connection field
As we've mentioned before, the connection field is a field so, therefore, it belongs to a specific phase of a pipe (or to the start form).
Creating a connection field works exactly like creating any other field.
To add a connection field to a form, we'd first open the form by clicking the "+" icon in the lower right corner of the screen then selecting the "+ Click here to customize this form".
To add a connection field to a phase, we'd open a card in the phase we want to edit, then click on "+ Click here to customize this phase fields".
The selected field type will be 'connection' and the options and advanced options will be the same presented for the connection.
This is how a search and create connection field for our employee record database would work: