Estimated reading time: 5 min
If you prefer, you could also watch a video about how this feature works:
How to create a connection?
Pipefy enables users to connect pipes and databases in two ways:
- Connections: Connections are set up in the pipe tools. They can be used to create/search for cards or records from all phases in a pipe. This feature is especially useful when the connection needs to be available in every stage of the process, such as logging activities - calls, emails, etc. - in a sales pipeline.
- Connection field: The connection field is an advanced field and is therefore part of a specific phase of a pipe. It's displayed like all the other fields of the process and can be set as a mandatory action. It's especially useful in situations when creating/searching for connected cards/records is a mandatory part of the process, such as selecting the employee record when creating an expense reimbursement request.
Important! When creating a connection/connection field between pipes or a pipe and a database you're automatically enabling access to the information in the connected pipe/database and all existing cards/records.
Creating a connection (pipe tools)
To create a connection, you'll first click on the tools icon in the upper right corner of the screen, then on 'connections.'
Once you click on "Add new connection" you'll see a pop-up screen where you'll add:
1. Connection name: The name that'll be displayed in the upper right corner of the open card;
2. Connected pipe or table: The pipe or table in which this connection will search/create cards/records;
3. Connection function: Choose whether you want your connection to
- Search: The connection will search among the existing cards/records in the connected pipe/database and link them to the parent card;
- Create: The connection will open the connected pipe/database form to create new cards/records in it;
- Search and create: The connection will enable the users to search for existing cards/records and create new ones if they don't find what they're looking for.
4. Number of entries: Specify whether you want a single card/record to be connected to the parent card (ex. Selecting the employee record from a database) or multiple cards/records (ex. Logging calls/emails in your Sales Pipeline).
After you've set this up, you'll have the option of unfolding the "Advanced options" where you'll find five different rules you can turn on or off:
- Creating connected cards is a requirement before moving this card to the next phase: When this option is active, the parent card can't be moved forward in the process before creating a connected card;
- Creating connected cards is a requirement for the parent card to be finished: When this option is active, the cards can't be moved to a final phase of the process before creating a connected card;
- All connected cards must be done before moving this card to the next phase: When this option is active, the parent card can't be moved forward in the process before the connected cards have reached a final phase;
- All connected cards must be finished before the parent card can be completed: When this option is active, the parent card can't be moved to a final phase of the process before the connected cards have reached a final phase;
- Autofill enables you to fill out fields automatically: This option enables users to match the fields in 'parent' pipe to autofill the connected card's fields when using the connection to manually create cards/records. Click here to learn more.
Select the rule(s) that suits your process best, click save and that's it! Your connection is up and running!
This is an example of a connection with the To-do list pipe:
Creating a connection field
As we've mentioned before, the connection field is a field so, therefore, it belongs to a specific phase or the start form of a pipe. Creating a connection field works exactly like creating any other field.
To add a connection field to a form, open it by clicking on the "+" icon in the lower right corner of the screen then select the "+ Click here to customize this form" option.
To add a connection field to a phase, open a card in the phase you want to edit, then click on "+ Customize this phase ".
The selected field type will be 'pipe connection' or 'database connection' and the options and advanced options will be the same presented for the connection.
This is how a search and create connection field for our employee record database works: