Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
How to create new records in a database or edit existing ones?
After creating a database you can start adding records to it. There are a few ways to create records in a database:
- By opening the database and clicking on 'create record' and filling out the record form;
- From a pipe via a connection or a connection field;
- By making your database form public and letting 'outsiders' create new records by filling it out;
- By importing data from a Google Sheets spreadsheet via our API (demands technical knowledge, click here to access our API documentation).
Create a new record using the database form
1. Once you click the 'create record' button, the database form you set up when creating the database will pop up on the right side of the screen:
2. Fill out the fields and click on 'create record'. After you do, you'll see a new row at the bottom of your database with the information you inserted.
Create a new record using a connection/connection field (from a pipe)
Let's assume we want to connect a requests screening pipe to the database where we store our employee records. We want to use the pipe and the database together by linking every new request to a database record.
In this case, the best thing would be to add a connection field to the pipe's start form so that every time we fill out the sales pipeline's start form, we'll also be able to create a database record.
Click here to learn more about connection fields and how to create them.
Create a new record by making the database form public
The public form feature enables you to make a pipe's start form public so that users outside of Pipefy can access it using a shareable link to create new cards.
You can do the same with your database form! Follow the steps below to let people that are not members of this table create records in your database:
1. Open your database's form by clicking the 'create record' button;
2. Click the 'share' button on the upper right corner of the form;
3. The following light box will appear. Once you click on the switch to make the form shareable, here's what you'll see:
Besides the public link you'll be able to share with whomever you want, you'll also see the embed code and the option to customize the form's appearance.
This is what your database's public form looks like (if you don't customize it):
How to edit an existing database record:
You can open a database record by clicking on it inside the database. Once you do, you'll see a screen with all this record's information (as well as all the cards it's been connected to):
On the left side of the record you'll see the information added to the form when creating the record. In the right side you'll see all the cards this record has been connected to (separated by the pipes).
Let's suppose you want to edit the company's name because it was entered with a typo. Hover over the field you want to edit then click on the pencil icon to edit it:
The field will become editable. Alter the necessary information and click on save to save the record:
You can edit the record to change it from 'active' to 'done' (and vice versa). To to so, click on the dropdown menu next to "status is" to change the record's status.
You can also export data from your Database in Excel format if you wish. Just click on the icon in the upper right corner of the Database, and in a few moments, the information will be ready to be viewed in Excel.