Estimated reading time: 4 min
What is automation?
Automation is one of Pipefy's advanced features. With it you can eliminate steps in your process that don't necessarily need to be performed manually, freeing up your team's time so they can become more efficient and focus their efforts on the activities that add value to your process.
This feature enables you to automatically trigger an action when a specific event occurs in one of your pipes. It works according to an 'event > action' logic: when a pre-determined event X happens, a pre-determined action Y will occur automatically.
What is an event? (IF)
An event is something that happens on Pipefy to trigger the subsequent automation action.
Example: Every time a card is completed (enters the 'done' phase) in your Sales Pipeline. In this case, the event is “when a card is moved" to phase done.
What is an action? (THEN)
The action is what happens after the automation is triggered.
Example: Every time a card is completed in your Sales Pipeline, a connected card is created in the accounts receivable pipe. In this case, the action is “create a new connected card”.
What events are available?
- When a card is created: Triggers the automation when a new card is created in a specific pipe;
- When a card is moved: A card is moved to a specific phase of a specific pipe;
- When a field is updated: A field is filled or the value in it is modified (doesn't work for fields filled when creating a card);
- When all connected cards are moved to a phase: All connected cards are moved to a specific phase (this event demands that you create a connection between pipes before setting it up);
- Recurring activity*: Executes the action every hour, every day, every week or every month (at defined times/days);
- When an alert is triggered: Executes the action whenever a card becomes late, expired or overdue in a specific pipe;
- When an email is received: Triggers the automation when a card receives an email;
- When setting up a recurring activity, the time you choose is UTC, which means that if you want cards to be created everyday 7 a.m. your time, you need to check your time zone and add/subtract the difference from UTC.
What actions are available?
- Create a new card in a pipe: A new card is created in a specific pipe with the information you set up corresponding the fields;
- Create a new connected card: A new connected card is created in a specific pipe with the information you set up corresponding the fields (this action demands that you create a connection between pipes before setting it up);
- Move the parent card: The parent card is moved to a specific phase (this action demands that you create a connection between pipes before setting it up);
- Update a field's value: The value in a specific field is automatically filled/updated (this action only allows users to update fields that belong to the same pipe as the event);
- Move card: A card is moved to a specific phase in the same pipe where the action happened.
Would you like to understand it a little bit better? Watch the video below!
Pipefy's automation allows a lot of companies to eliminate double-work and focus on more valuable strategies.
Here are some examples of how you can use them in your department:
Through automation, it's easier to eliminate the manual labor that clusters the Customer Success' or Customer Support's agenda. Automatically escalate the most recommended team member to deal with a specific request or account, in a specific phase of the onboarding or help desk process.
It's possible to do so by setting condition rules, which you can customize to attend your team's needs (e.g., when a card moves from the implementation to the follow-up phase in a Customer Onboarding pipe).
Tasks such as collecting signatures from employees, updating a candidate's status (by moving them from one phase to another), or even updating an employee's progress on their onboarding journey, can be automated to avoid time-wasting on manual tasks.
Through Pipefy's automation, the HR team won't have to deal with time-wasting activities such as moving candidates and employees across phases or processes. With automations, you can automatically update information and move the card through phases, saving time to analyze the best talents for the company.
Allow your team to let go of manual tasks, such as copying and pasting data between payment or legacy systems. It's possible to automate the sending or receiving of invoices, receipts, and documents, which also reduces the risk of delays and inaccuracies.
Through automations, the finance team can customize rules to send information or automatically assign people to deal with a specific request, making sure that the accounts and responsibilities are properly designed to the right people in time.
Use customized integrations to improve your processes
You can also improve your automated workflows by using customized integrations (available for Enterprise plans). Pipefy allows you to connect your processes with any software - from ERPs, HRIS to accounting tools, and many other possibilities.
This way, you can avoid double-work and transform manual tasks (such as updating job positions in your company's website, customer directories or sending payment receipts to suppliers) into automated actions with integrations.
- How to set up automations
- What are automation conditions
- How to set up automation conditions
- My automation is not moving cards, what's wrong
- My automation is not creating connected cards, what's wrong
- Video: Setting Labels and assignees automatically in your cards
Advanced uses of automations:
- Automatically define an assignee for a card
- Create recurring activities
- Disable manual movement actions in your process
- Escalate high priority demands when they become overdue
- Prioritize overdue demands
- Request an approval based on predefined business rules
- Start sub-processes automatically
- Update information across your process